web analytics
September 29, 2016 / 26 Elul, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘IDF soldier’

IDF Soldier Stabbed in Tel Aviv, Terrorist in Custody [video]

Monday, May 30th, 2016

An IDF soldier was stabbed in Tel Aviv Monday evening. The attack occurred place on Yigal Allon Street.

According to Magen David Adom emergency medical service, the victim sustained stab wounds in his upper body with a screwdriver. He was evacuated to Ichilov Medical Center in fair condition.

Sources said the 17-year-old attacker, a resident of the Palestinian Authority in the village of Slafit, near Shechem, was captured and is currently being questioned by security personnel.

The terrorist posted on Facebook on Monday morning that he wished to die, and asked to be buried next to his friend who died this past weekend in a car accident.

Video of the terrorist being captured:

Hana Levi Julian

IDF Hebron Soldier Pleads ‘Not Guilty’ to Manslaughter in Terrorist Death

Tuesday, May 24th, 2016

The attorneys for IDF Sgt. Elor Azariya submitted a plea of “not guilty” Monday on the charge of manslaughter for shooting to death a wounded terrorist in Hebron.

The case revolves around a March 24 stabbing attack on an IDF soldier by two Arab terrorists. One was shot and killed immediately. The second, Fatah a-Sharif, was shot and disabled, but did not die immediately. Instead, he lay on the ground, wearing a bulky, zipped up jacket that appeared to hide a possible explosives vest. Because he was still moving it was unclear whether or not he presented a current threat.

Attorneys Ilan Katz, Eyal Beserglick, Binyamin Malcha and Karmit Scheiber listed a number of points in the Jaffa Military Court in their rebuttal to the indictment against their client.

“The defendant acted in a fraction of a second to neutralize the terrorist to prevent an attack on himself and his friends who were standing close to the terrorist. He did not see any other way to save their lives or his own. The defendant admits that the gun fire may have killed the terrorist but that it definitely neutralized him,” the attorneys responded in their plea.

“The defendant saw a situation in which, given the circumstances, the terrorist was wearing an explosive belt and carrying a knife as part of a combined attack and his movements indicated that he intended to detonate the belt on his body which could have had serious consequences,” the plea continued. This was said to the defendant “during a briefing – he thought that a real and immediate danger was being posed to him and his friends,” the attorneys went on, Ynet reported.

The terrorist had already been shot in the lung and the groin. The attorneys said the autopsy report did not rule out the question of whether his death might have been caused by those shots, given the amount of time that elapsed between those first shots and the shot to the head by Azariya.

Hana Levi Julian

Thousands Attend Controversial Rally in Support of Soldier Who Killed Wounded Terrorist

Tuesday, April 19th, 2016

By Michael Zeff/TPS

Tel Aviv (TPS) – A rally in support of Cpl. Elor Azarya, a medic on trial for manslaughter after being filmed shooting a wounded Palestinian Authority terrorist, drew approximately 2,000 people to Rabin square in Tel Aviv on Tuesday evening, according to police estimates.

“Don’t neutralize terrorists, kill them,” protesters chanted in support of Azarya. Others held signs reading “A dead terrorist can’t return to murdering Jews,” and “Neutralized = Dead.”

According to Azarya’s indictment by the military prosecution, he acted against the rules of engagement and without military justification. The case has shaken Israeli society and become a hotly contested political issue. The majority of Israelis support the soldier.

A violent incident erupted at the rally when participants attacked a Channel 10 News reporter, Moav Vardi. The incident was quickly broken up by undercover policemen and ended without, stated a police spokesperson.

The event was conceived and organized by Sharon Gal, a former right-wing member of Knesset with the Yisrael Beiteinu party, who invited several Israeli pop stars to provide musical interludes between speeches given by members of the Azarya family.

“This is a far-right rally, meant to weaken the IDF values and ethical code,” said Opposition leader and head of the Zionist Union party Isaac Herzog who is currently under investigation for corruption. “No member of government will attend it.”

Commenting on the incident and the rally, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said “I suggest that everyone just lower the flames.”

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

NY Times Concedes Error on Palestinian Authority Arab Photo

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013

The public editor of The New York Times said she received hundreds of complaints last week after the newspaper used a large and sympathetic photograph of a distraught Palestinian Authority mother to illustrate a story about her son’s stabbing to death of a sleeping Israeli soldier sitting next to him on a public bus.

The JTA  spoke on Monday afternoon to two senior editors at The Times, which prints all the news that fits its agenda. Both editors agreed that the photo was a regrettable choice because the dominant image with an article should reflect the overall point of the article and the reason for its newsworthiness.

“This did not represent the essence of the story, which was clearly the moment of the Israeli soldier being stabbed,” said Michele McNally, the assistant managing editor in charge of photography.

 

 

 

 

JTA

Abbas Silent on Palestinian Authority Terrorist Murder of Soldier

Sunday, September 22nd, 2013

Palestinian Authority chairman Mahmoud Abbas has remained mum more than 36 hours after a PA terrorist kidnapped and murdered an IDF soldier and even after security forces quickly arrested the terrorist in his home in western Samaria.

The United States has condemned the kidnap-murder. Robert Serry, longtime critic of Israel and also the U.N. coordinator of the “Peace Process,” declared the terrorist attack a “shocking murder.” And Abbas is silent.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has not yet commented, but we can count on the State Dept. to comment at the daily media briefing on Monday that the attack “proves that both sides much reach a peace agreement.”

If the reporters are on their toes, they will remind the State Dept. spokesmen that Kerry bragged last year that Abbas is doing such a great job at stopping terror that not a single Jew was murdered by a terrorist for a whole year.

Forget the fact that there were dozens of attempts to kill Jews. Facts are facts, and 12 months without a murder proves something – basically that the IDF was on its toes by doing what is supposed to be Abbas’ job of arresting heavy-duty terrorists.

Of course, Kerry’s boast on behalf of Abbas was irrelevant a few weeks later, when a Palestinian Authority stabbed an Israeli to death in Samaria earlier this year.

And now we have the second casualty of terror at the hands of a Palestinian Authority resident.  Nidal Amer, from a village near the city of Kalkilya that is located next to the northern metropolitan Tel Aviv city of Kfar Saba, killed Sgt. Tomer Hazan after luring him to share a taxi ride. Both of them worked together in a Tel Aviv area restaurant.

The IDF reported,  “In his investigation, Amer added that the motive for murdering the soldier was to trade his body for the release of his brother – Nur Al Din Amer – a Tanzim Fatah terrorist imprisoned since 2003 for his involvement in several terror attacks.”

Abbas previously has demanded that Israel free all Palestinian Authority terrorists and prisoners. His silence after the terrorist attack that ended the life of Sgt. Hazan raises two questions: If Abbas wants to prove he is trying to stop terror, even though he incites it in speeches in Arabic, why doesn’t he condemn it? And if he wants to prove to his Arab constituents that he really wants Israel to free all terrorists, why doesn’t he demand that Israel free Amer now instead of going through all the trouble to try, convict and jail him?

Not only is Abbas silent, but the official Palestinian Authority website also did not even mention the kidnap-murder.

In its daily review of the Arab press, the PA WAFA website listed the leading stories in PA Newspapers:

  • The Israeli army attack on an international aid convoy carrying humanitarian supplies to residents of Khirbet Makhoul in the Jordan Valley.
  • The upcoming meeting of the Ad Hoc Liaison Committee that meets periodically to discuss financial aid to the Palestinian Authority.
  • The trip Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah is going to make to New York to attend the AHLC meeting and his efforts to bring $500 million in budget support to help the PA overcome its deficit.
  • The PA is going to address the donors and tell them that chances for a two-state solution are fading quickly because of Israel’s settlement activities.
  • The papers also reported on the weekly anti-settlements, anti-wall protests in various West Bank villages and which the Israeli army usually attacks with force causing several injuries.

Outside of a few mentions of leftist protests and “settlers breaking into Solomon Pools area in Bethlehem,” there was not a word about the kidnap-murder.

It simply did not happen.

Al Jazeera, which now has an outlet in the United States, reported on “killing” and did not refer to it as terror. It noted, “The killing could deal a new blow to US-led peace efforts between Israel and the Palestinian Authority”  and it hastened to add, “The deaths of several Palestinians in Israeli arrest raids in the West Bank intended to detain fighters involved in attacks have further soured the atmosphere between the two sides.”

The reportage reflects an inherent an insidious bias. The terrorist are “fighters” and their arrests and deaths – not the terrorist activity itself –  are what “soured the atmosphere.”

Tzvi Ben-Gedalyahu

IDF Whistleblower Suing Ha’aretz and its Reporter for Exposing Her

Thursday, April 4th, 2013

Former IDF soldier Anat Kam, who has been sentenced to three and a half years in prison after being convicted on an illegal possession of classified information, on Thursday sued the newspaper Ha’aretz, its reporter Uri Blau, and former news desk chief Avi Zilberberg, to the tune of 2.6 million shekel ($720 thousand).

Kam contends that she was exposed as the source of Blau’s information, leading to her arrest. In an unusual move, Kam asked the court to order the reporter to pay much of the money out of his own pocket, for his “special role in causing great injustice” to her, she said. The newspaper has not yet responded to the suit.

During her military service as a clerk in the office of the Central Command, Kam was exposed to “presentations and documents of various level of security classification,” including summaries of discussions, deployment of forces, investigations and status assessments. In advance of her discharge, she copied the documents to a CD that she took home. About a year after her discharge, she offered the documents to the military correspondent of Yediot Aharonot, Yossi Yehoshua, but in the end did not give away the material.

In October, 2008, the lawsuit relates, Kam met up with Blau, they chatted and discovered that they had attended the same high school. Blau offered Kam a ride to Jerusalem, where her parents live, and during the trip told her about his journalistic background and his own exposure to military matters.

“She had the impression that Blau was a serious and responsible journalist, and since it was clear to her that, in any case, his reports at Ha’aretz would be subject to military censorship restrictions,” she decided to hand over to him the CD containing the documents.

According to Kam, before delivering the CD to Blau, she demanded that he would never reveal where he obtained the documents, and that he tell no one at Ha’aretz that she was his source.

A few days later, Blau called her on his cellphone and told her he was excited about the material. The two had a few more discussions, until finally Blau published his story in November, 2008. The report incorporated photographs of two documents he had received from Kam. A few months later, another article appeared, incorporating another classified document.

On December 15, 2009, Kam’s world came crashing down, the lawsuit says, referring to the day when the GSS called her in for questioning.” Kam tried to contact Blau, but a mutual acquaintance said he was on a long trip abroad. At the GSS, her interrogators told her that they’re checking the leak to Blau. Kam confessed, and spent nearly two years under house arrest, with an “overseer.” She had to quit her job and could only leave her home to report at the police, or to visit a doctor. A year and a half ago, she was sentenced to four and a half years in prison, and three months ago the Supreme Court shortened her sentence by one year.

The lawsuit suggests that Ha’aretz was responsible for her exposure, since publishing the classified documents left only Kam, the clerk who handled those documents at Central Command, as the most logical suspect. It also argues that the chief military censor advised to Ha’aretz against publishing the actual documents, in order to shield their source.

In the end, according to the Kam lawsuit, the GSS was willing to give her immunity from charges on the documents which reporter Blau handed back to the military, so that, essentially, had he given back everything – she could have been spared much of her sentence.

Now she wants to make him pay.

Yori Yanover

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/idf-whistleblower-suing-haaretz-and-its-reporter-for-exposing-her/2013/04/04/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: