web analytics
December 19, 2014 / 27 Kislev, 5775
 
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Moshe Yaalon’

Ya’alon Promises to Bring Soldier’s Body Home from Hamas

Monday, August 11th, 2014

Defense Minister Moshe ‘Boogie’ Ya’alon put an end to conflicting media reports and confirmed Sunday night that Hamas is holding the body – or parts of the body – of IDF soldier Oron Shaul.

A tweet from a Ha’aretz journalist quoted Ya’alon as saying that Shaul’s body was being held by Hamas in Gaza. A similar report in Egyptian media claimed Israel had negotiated with Hamas for the return of body parts belonging to Shaul, and for fallen IDF soldier Hadar Goldin, in exchange for releasing Hamas terrorists captured by the IDF during Operation Protective Edge. Likewise, Israel’s Channel 2 television reported similar negotiations, saying that Israel offered to trade eight bodies and 15 Hamas captives in exchange for the IDF body parts.

By then, Israeli officials were trying to douse the fire, and subsequently were quoted as denying the reports. Instead, they warned they were being used as psychological warfare to manipulate the grief of the Israeli public over the soldiers’ deaths.

But Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon put an end to the media speculation and delivered the sad news in his typical forthright style.

Ya’alon told journalists late Sunday evening that Israel is attempting to work through diplomatic channels to retrieve Shaul’s body, which he had already verified was being held by Hamas. He had shared that painful news in a visit with the soldier’s family, and promised them that Israel will bring him back.

“We are committed to bringing Oron home to be laid to rest here in Israel,” Ya’alon reportedly told the family. “We will not rest until this is done, and we are dealing with the issue. We will keep you posted on every development and my door will always be open to you for any question you might have.”

Shaul was killed together with six other soldiers when his armored personnel carrier was blown up by an anti-tank missile in a heavy firefight in the Shejaiyya section of Gaza City. During that battle, other IDF soldiers were able to recover the bodies of his six comrades but were unable to find the body of Oron Shaul. Initially it was believed that Shaul was kidnapped alive, but closer investigation of the site revealed enough evidence for the IDF Chief Military Rabbi to conclude the soldier had fallen in combat.

Goldin, a Givati officer, was killed when a suicide bomber emerged from a tunnel nearby and detonated his explosives belt right next to his unit, killing him and two other soldiers. Other terrorists then dragged parts of Goldin’s body into a tunnel, according to an exclusive report posted on Breitbart News. Goldin’s men chased the terrorists but didn’t catch them. They did, however find some of Goldin’s personal items – enough to bring back for a determination of his death as well.

May God and the IDF avenge their blood.

In Israel, Leadership No Guarantee Against Loss in Wartime

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014

In Israel, a small country where nearly everyone knows someone who has served in the army — and nearly everyone has attended at least one military funeral because of it — political leadership is no guarantee against grief, not even for the defense minister.

Moshe ‘Boogie’ Ya’alon, once this country’s IDF Chief of Staff and who now serves as Minister of Defense, is a relative of the young man whose remains are to be laid to rest later today. Ya’alon personally came together with IDF officials on Saturday night to deliver the news to the family that his young kinsman was dead. It couldn’t have been easy.

A special committee led by IDF Chief Military Rabbi Rafi Peretz had declared the death of 2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin. The determination was made after reviewing all relevant medical information, circumstantial evidence and halachic (Jewish legal) criteria.

The relationship between Ya’alon and Goldin was not previously publicized due to concerns the information would be used by Hamas terrorists to further harm the young officer, assuming he was alive.

Ya’alon’s grandfather was Goldin’s great-grandmother’s brother.

“Hadar Goldin, may his memory be blessed, was a member of my family,” Ya’alon told media on Sunday. “I’ve known him since he was born. He and the other IDF fighters went into battle in order to return quiet and security to Israel. I embrace their families,” he said sorrowfully.

Goldin was an officer in Palsar Givati, an elite reconnaissance unit of the Givati infantry brigade. His unit was attacked by Hamas terrorists Friday, August 1 about an hour and a half after the start of a humanitarian cease fire forced on Israel by the United States and the United Nations. The Israeli soldiers were ambushed in the southern Gaza border town of Rafah when a suicide bomber emerged from a tunnel and detonated himself near their unit, killing two of their men, both laid to rest earlier this weekend.

Other terrorists from the cell who quickly followed then grabbed Goldin and dragged him back into the tunnel. The men in his unit chased the terrorists but were unable to catch them; about 150 meters down the shaft, they found some of Goldin’s belongings.

Realizing they had to stop the cell from taking Goldin any farther, the elite unit began firing at targets in the surrounding area and took measures to effectively address the multiple entrances to the tunnel used by the terrorists as well.

Goldin and his girlfriend Edna became engaged just a few weeks ago, after the kidnapping and murder by Hamas terrorists of the three Israeli teens in Gush Etzion. The families of the young couple were working on their wedding preparations when they received the news the Givati officer was missing in action.

The family of Hadar Goldin has asked the Israeli public to join them in accompanying their son to his final resting place Sunday afternoon at the military plot in the Kfar Saba cemetery, at 4:30 pm local time.

IDF Declares Death of 2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin, [hy'd]

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014

Late Saturday night, the Goldin family of Kfar Saba received the sad news that a special IDF committee had concluded their son, 2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin, had fallen in combat the day before.

The 23 year old Givati platoon commander was killed in battle during the attack carried out by Hamas during a cease fire forced on Israel by the United States and the United Nations on Friday, August 1. The family was told there were enough pathological findings at the scene to declare their son’s death.

All Jewish laws, religious observances and medical criteria were taken into account prior to the ruling by a special committee headed by IDF Chief Rabbi Rafi Peretz, the IDF said in a statement to media.

A spokesperson for the family told media after the IDF announcement to thank the people of Israel for their support and to ask everyone to attend their son’s funeral “to accompany him on his final journey.”

Details are to be announced.

Goldin died in Rafah when a Hamas suicide bomber emerged from a tunnel near the Givati force and detonated himself as a diversion. Additional terrorists then attacked Goldin’s force, killing two soldiers – Major Benaya Sarel and Staff Sergeant Liel Gidoni.

The terrorists then dragged Goldin into a tunnel and later claimed he was alive.

But on Saturday a spokesman from the Izz a-Din al-Qassam military wing of Hamas said the group had lost contact with the terror cell that had been sent to ambush the platoon. He said they believed they were dead, and probably Goldin as well.

As soon as Goldin was dragged into the tunnel, other members of his platoon raced in after him to try and prevent the abduction, but they were too late.

During that search, the unit found Goldin’s personal effects during the initial search, 20 meters underground.

Their next move was to prevent the terrorists from taking Goldin farther away; they began firing in all directions and destroyed targets in as many areas as possible, including buildings, vehicles and sending smoke down the tunnel in order to kill the terrorists who had taken their commander. It is probable that Goldin also died in that effort but highly unusual for Hamas to admit that as well.

It is not clear why, in fact, the terror group is, in fact, not claiming they have a live captive – or any captive at all.

The soldier’s family was notified in person by Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon, along with the head of the IDF Personnel Directorate, Maj.-Gen. Orna Barbivai and Chief Military Rabbi Peretz.

“The IDF will continue to support the family, and escort them through the grieving period,” the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit said in its statement.

Hundreds of Israelis were gathered outside the Goldin home earlier in the evening to show their support for the family. The parents of the three Israeli teens who were kidnapped and murdered by Hamas terrorists in Gush Etzion in June, (Eyal Yifrach, Naftali Frenkel and Gilad Sha’ar) also came to visit with the family and show their support. “We’re with them during this difficult time,” Avraham Frenkel, father of Naftali Frenkel, said.

PM Vows to Destroy All Terror Tunnels ‘With or Without Cease Fire’

Thursday, July 31st, 2014

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu promised Israelis Thursday morning the IDF would track down and destroy all the Gaza terror tunnels — and restore safety to southern Israel — “with or without a cease fire.”

The prime minister told the Security Cabinet Thursday morning that IDF soldiers have already mapped out and destroyed “dozens” of terrorist tunnels in Gaza.

The prime minister opened the meeting with praises for the troops fighting in the region, condolences for the families of those who have fallen in action, and encouragement for those recuperating from their injuries in hospitals and at home.

Netanyahu had especially high words of praise for soldiers and officers, as did Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon and IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz. “Their morale is incredibly high,” noted Ya’alon.

“They are the real heroes of this story, those who are still busy with this situation.,” Gantz said. “Our troops, who understand what they have to do and who carry those orders out with unprecedented excellence.”

The meeting was brief, reviewing decisions made yesterday to intensify operations and call up 16,000 more reservists to allow the current 70,000 contingent of troops some “breathing room.”

The prime minister noted the decisions had come at a price in the international arena, but were supported at home by a wide majority of the people of Israel.

“We have destroyed dozens of tunnels and we will finish the job, with or without a cease fire. Israel won’t agree to a cease fire that does not allow the IDF to destroy every terrorist tunnel in Gaza,” he vowed.

The issue has been one that is at the forefront of southern Israeli residents’ minds: some 300,000 people have left the region for the duration, saying they fear infiltrations and terror attacks because of those tunnels.

As the ministers rose to leave, Netanyahu stopped them. “Wait a minute,” he said before ending the meeting. “I want to underline something for our troops, for the media and for the public: Every single soldier is precious to us – every single one,” the prime minister emphasized. “They are on our minds constantly. We think about every single one.”

Meanwhile, it has also been a busy morning in Gaza for the IDF.

Cooperation between ground and air forces has proved to be a major advantage in dealing with terrorists in urban warfare. Paratroopers spotted a cell of five terrorists moving in their area; transmitting that information to pilots in the skies, an IAF aircraft targeted the squad and confirmed the hit.

IDF combat forces identified a terrorist climbing out of a tunnel shaft in northern Gaza on Thursday morning. The troops engaged the terrorist and killed him.

Givati Brigade fighters also killed a terrorist who was spotted firing an anti-tank missile at IDF soldiers in southern Gaza.

Since midnight, terrorists have fired 16 missiles and rockets at Israel; 10 have reached Israeli territory.

While the security cabinet was meeting, a Grad Katyusha missile exploded in an open area on the outskirts of Be’er Sheva.

Over the past 24 hours, 37 IDF soldiers and two civilians have been admitted to Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon with a range of injuries. Eight of the soldiers were listed in serious condition, seven in fair condition and the rest are listed in good condition.

8-Yr-Old Boy Injured in Missile Attack on Ashdod; Patriot Missiles Knock Out Suicide Bomber Drone

Monday, July 14th, 2014

An 8-year-old boy in Ashdod was injured by flying shrapnel Monday when a missile exploded at midday in a yard. A car was set afire by the same explosion.

A barrage of six missiles were fired at the port city of Ashdod at 12:30 pm, with four intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile defense system. A third landed near a home in the Ashkelon Coastal region, damaging the house. No one was physically hurt in the attack.

In mid-afternoon, another rocket exploded in the space between two homes in Sderot. Miraculously, no one was physically injured.

Gaza terrorists continue to launch barrages of rockets and missiles at Israel, with the focus of their attacks on Monday morning and afternoon concentrated on the southern regions. A number of other attacks were fired at the coastal city of Ashkelon as well as other areas.

An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) – also known as a drone – was shot down with a Patriot missile in the early morning hours by IDF forces deployed near Ashdod.

The explosion from the interception was heard as far away as the Jerusalem suburb of Beit Shemesh, in central Israel, readers reported, triggering air raid sirens at approximately 6:30 a.m. local time.

Hamas terrorists later boasted they had sent the drone to photograph shots of the IDF’s Kiryah headquarters in Tel Aviv, and had succeeded in acquiring the intelligence they wanted.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon, however, praised the Iron Dome crew that had been alert to the threat and shot down the drone. At a briefing later in the day, Ya’alon pointed to the soldiers’ spotting the drone as an example of the IDF’s “readiness in the face of [their] attempts to harm us in any way they can.”

The IDF spent time this past year drilling precisely for such a scenario, with combat helicopter and fighter jet pilots taking part, according to the Israel Air Force website. Israeli forces are prepared for all types of threats that might face the Jewish State, and have been dishing out a few of their own.

“When Hamas leaders emerge from hiding they will see the extent of the destruction and damage that we have caused their organization, and that will make them regret they entered this round of fighting against Israel,” Ya’alon told reporters.

“We continue to smash Hamas and its infrastructure. They have suffered great damage. We have destroyed weapons factories, tunnels, terrorists’ homes and institutions and we will continue this activity today.”

Ya’alon Vows ‘Total Quiet’ for Israel with Operation Protective Edge

Tuesday, July 8th, 2014

The IDF is determined to bring quiet to Israel and especially to families in the south with Operation Protective Edge.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon told media on Tuesday, “We intend to make sure there will be total silence – zero rocket fire – aimed at Israel when we are done this time.

“The situation on the ground has proved that Hamas does not want a truce.”

IAF fighter pilots have flown sorties throughout the day, carrying out targeted air strikes aimed at eliminating selected Hamas military leaders and terrorists who operate rocket and missile launchers.

Ya’alon said he told mayors in the Tel Aviv metropolitan area to “take into account there will be possible fire on their cities.”

The Home Front Command search and rescue unit is preparing for deployment in the Tel Aviv area, officials said.

In addition to Tel Aviv, officials in Rishon Lezion have also opened the public bomb shelters, and have warned residents to stay away from the beaches.

During the last mini-war, Gaza terrorists fired Iranian produced Fajr-5 and M75 missiles at Tel Aviv, Rishon Lezion and the Jerusalem area.

Ya’alon Says Hamas Uninterested in Further Escalation

Monday, June 30th, 2014

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon told residents of southern Israeli communities living near the border with Gaza that Hamas terrorists do not want a war with Israel.

“Hamas is not interested in further escalation and is relaying these messages through Egypt,” Ya’alon told residents with whom he met on Monday.

“The rocket fire is unacceptable,” he continued. “Hamas operates most of the year against the sources that launch these attacks [against Israel] and enforces the understandings reached after Operation Pillar of Defense.”

For some time, Gaza’s Hamas rulers have been engaged in a quiet power struggle of their own for control over the region. Al Qaeda-linked Salafi Muslim terrorist groups have been growing in popularity among more radical members of Hamas and have begun to openly challenge the organization for control over Gaza.

Nevertheless, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu warned over the weekend after a massive barrage of rocket attacks launched at southern Israel that if Hamas could not the rocket fire, Israel would be forced to do so.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/yaalon-says-hamas-uninterested-in-further-escalation/2014/06/30/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: