web analytics
August 29, 2015 / 14 Elul, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Egypt’

Egypt Bids Farewell to Native Son, Legendary Omar Sharif

Sunday, July 12th, 2015

Legendary Hollywood actor Omar Sharif, 83, was laid to rest today after a funeral service at the Mushir Tantawi mosque in Cairo. The international leading man was a global heart throb to millions of women for more than half a century.

The actor died Friday of a heart attack in Cairo after a long struggle with Alzheimer’s disease. His remains were to be interred at the El Sayeda Nafisa cemetery in southern Cairo, according to Sameh El Soreity, a board member of the Egyptian Actors Syndicate.

Sharif, fluent in six languages, was the winner of two Golden Globe awards, and was an Oscar nominee for his role as Sherif Ali in the 1962 epic “Lawrence of Arabia.” He is best known for that film and for his role in “Doctor Zhivago,” although he spent decades in TV and films, starring in numerous others.

Sharif died just six months after the death in Cairo of his ex-wife, Faten Hamama, an iconic Egyptian movie actress known to the nation as the “Lady of the Arabic Screen.” The couple divorced in 1974 when Sharif began his career in Hollywood after an initial success in Egypt. They are survived by their son, Tareq.

Sinai Jihadists Bomb Egyptian Army Bus

Friday, July 10th, 2015

Islamic terrorists in the Sinai bombed a bus carrying Egyptian army soldiers Thursday and injured 25 people near el-Arish.

The jihadist group linked with the Islamic State (ISIS) and which calls itself the “Sinai Province” is one of the leading terrorist groups in northern Sinai, but it has not claimed responsibility for the attack.

It carried out last week’s deadly bombings at 15 police and army positions, killing dozens of soldiers and policemen. Egypt responded with fierce bombing raids and artillery fire that it claimed killed nearly 100 jihadists.

Rivlin: All Relevant Authorities Working to Retrieve Missing Israeli

Thursday, July 9th, 2015

President Reuven Rivlin confirmed Thursday that “all relevant authorities are working on the case” of 28-year-old Ethiopian immigrant to Israel, Avraham Mengisto.

The young man voluntarily crossed the border into Gaza 10 months ago and has not been seen since, according to his mother, who says she is holding Gaza’s ruling Hamas terror group responsible for his well-being.

Rivlin told journalists at a news conference the release of Mengisto, who is believed to be possibly mentally ill, is a “humanitarian issue.”

The president said in a statement, “We expect those holding him to act accordingly and release him while his condition is stable.” He added that Israel’s security and other government personnel would “continue to make every effort to bring the incident to a close as soon as possible.”

Mengisto walked south along the shoreline from his home in Ashkelon on September 8, 2014, and then simply kept going, crossing the border into Gaza along the way.

Hamas reportedly is claiming the Israeli was taken into custody for questioning but released when it was discovered that he was not a soldier. As it happens, Mengisto has never served in the IDF due to his health problems.

The terror group claims that he entered one of the smuggling tunnels in the southern border town of Rafah and exited the enclave to head into Egypt in order to proceed towards Ethiopia.

Israeli authorities say the terrorist officials are lying, either in order to preserve him as an “asset” for future negotiations with Israel over a possible prisoner swap, or because something happened to him along the way and the person responsible for him is hiding that information – even from Hamas officials.

‘Hamas is Responsible For My Son. They Cannot Shirk Responsibility’

Thursday, July 9th, 2015

The mother of a (possibly) mentally ill young man who crossed the southern border of Israel into Gaza is blaming Hamas for her son’s captivity.

A second civilian, also in his 20s, is being held captive in Gaza as well. All information about the second man, a Negev Bedouin resident of the town of Hura, has been censored, however.

Avraham Mengisto’s mother told media in a briefing today (Thursday, July 9) while meeting with Ashkelon Mayor Itamar Shimoni that she holds Gaza’s ruling terror organization responsible for the welfare of her 28-year-old son.

“Hamas is responsible for my son’s fate,” his mother said. “They cannot shirk their responsibility. I [also] hope the state will not cease to act for his return.”

The mayor visited her at the family home in Ashkelon on Thursday after the news of Avraham’s disappearance was cleared for publication. “The family is going through a very difficult time, after the double tragedy that they’ve endured,” Shimoni said. “Askelon Municipality’s social services department has been accompanying them since the first moment. We embrace the family and send them strength and hope that Avraham will be back with his family quickly,” he added.

Speaking on behalf of the family, Avraham’s brother Ilan subsequently said “[We] have decided to behave with restraint and give the government time to get our brother back home and we also ask the people of Israel to show restraint… The family considers this a humanitarian issue and we call on the international community to get involved and work to secure the release of my brother,” he said. “I ask that Hamas consider the condition of my brother and release him,” he added.

Information about Avraham’s disappearance 10 months ago only became public today due to the lifting of a gag order.

Mengisto left his home in Ashkelon early on September 8, 2014, and apparently kept walking along the shoreline until he crossed the border into Gaza. This is not the first time that Mengisto has gone missing; there have been three reports of similar incidents registered with the social services department, although none involved a border crossing.

Mengisto’s mother Agernesh lives in Ashkelon, and his father Ayele lives in central Israel. He is one of nine children in the family.

According to the Defense Ministry there is no concrete information as to his fate; IDF Coordinator for Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) Yoav Mordechai told media, however, that current information indicates Mengisto is being held by Hamas.

A military source said Mengisto had initially been arrested by Hamas after crossing the border in September, but the terror organization said it released him because he was not a soldier. The source said there have been several attempts since that time to negotiate for his release.

A Hamas source in Gaza told Ynet that Mengisto is no longer in the region; the source said the Israeli exited the enclave via the tunnels in the southern border town of Rafah, and headed into Egypt.

Mengisto’s grieving mother added that despite her efforts to remain strong, “It hurts me. Since he disappeared, my life has come to a stop.

“Every day I wait for him to come through the door and say ‘hello.’ I pray for his return, and ask anyone who can help us to do so.”

Great Sphinx of Giza, Pyramids of Egypt Are Next ISIS Targets

Wednesday, July 8th, 2015

The leader of Da’esh (ISIS) is exhorting his followers in Egypt to destroy the Sphinx and the pyramids.

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi reportedly has said destroying the monuments is a “religious duty,” according to numerous sources quoted by Jihad Watch.

A report by The Telegraph also quoted members of Da’esh as saying that “objects shouldn’t be the subject of idolization or worship.”

In addition, radical Islamic cleric Anjem Choudary, who lives in the UK, also told a BBC presenter, “When Egypt comes under the auspices of the Khalifa (Caliphate) there will be no more pyramids, no more Sphinx, no more idolatry. This will be just.”

So far, at least, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has empowered the Egyptian Army to fight off the Da’esh terrorists from the Sinai Province group and its ally, Hamas, who helped in its massive attack against the government.

The effort to repel the coordinated attack at 15 different sites by the terror organization required the use of ground and air forces together, including Egyptian F-16 fighter jets. Cairo requested – and received – Israel’s cooperation in allowing the entry of heavy artillery into the Sinai Peninsula, beyond what is authorized in the peace treaty between the two nations.

Israel likewise ramped up her own status to high alert along the southern border with Sinai last week, and closed the southern Negev’s’ Highway 12 to civilian traffic, just to be on the safe side.

President Rivlin Tells Arab Media Ramadan Based on ‘Compassion’

Monday, July 6th, 2015

President Reuven Rivlin hosted Arab media at his official residence Sunday night to break the daily fast in the Muslim month of Ramadan, which he said “is based on the values of compassion, mercy, and grace.”

President Rivlin added:

Unfortunately, there are those who seek to exploit the sanctity of Ramadan, and distort its meaning in favor of criminal and murderous terrorism.

I join in the concern of those countries around us, about the increase in terrorism, and I send my condolences to the President of Egypt, and the Egyptian people, following the horrific terrorist attacks in the Sinai.

In the face of these bloody events, we have the duty, all the children of Abraham, to condemn strongly, loud and clear, these atrocities committed ‘in the name of God’, or ‘in the name of Islam’.

He declined to specifically remind his guests of last week’s Palestinian Authority terrorist attack that killed Malachi  Rosenfeld and wounded two others . He only referred to it vaguely while balancing the murder with Jewish “price tag” attacks of vandalism, by stating:

These have not been easy weeks for anyone who loves this country; for those who believe we have the ability and the duty – as Arabs and Jews – to live together. At this time, in the face of those on both sides who seek to fan the flames, we cannot and must not remain silent.

He finally made one explicit reference to Palestinian Authority terror, saying that the Abbas regime “has  a responsibility to act decisively against terrorists seeking to sabotage our daily lives here.”

The President reminded the Arab media that while Muslims were breaking the fast, Jews also were ending their fast of the 17th of Tammuz, which was postponed until Sunday because of the Sabbath.

President Rivlin also said he is working with the Netanyahu administration on the issues of “distress and pain of the Israeli Arab society” and “violence in the Arab community, shortages in housing and employment.”

“The citizenship of the Arab residents of the State of Israel is not a goodwill gesture, President Rivlin said. ” It is the citizenship of individuals and of a society which is part and parcel of this land; this land is their homeland, the State of Israel is their home.”

Wouldn’t  it be nice if Arab Knesset Members would agree?

ISIS Prompts State of Emergency in Tunisia, Declaration of ‘War’ in Egypt

Sunday, July 5th, 2015

Tunisia’s President Beji Caid Essebsi has declared a state of emergency in the wake of ISIS (Da’esh) attacks on its soil, according to the state-run TAP news agency. The president made the move in response to the massacre by Da’esh terrorists of dozens of tourists on a hotel beach in the town of Sousse a scant week ago, according to TAP.

Not since the 2011 Jasmine Revolution that deposed former President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali has the country’s government declared a state of emergency. At least 38 foreign tourists were slaughtered during the attack, most of the British and more than a hundred others were wounded.

British Prime Minister David Cameron announced Sunday (July 5) the UK will erect a permanent memorial in Britain to honor the victims of that horrific attack. A second monument will be created to honor victims of other terror attacks overseas as well, he said.

Da’esh followed up the massacres – which also included additional murders in France, Kuwait and Kobani, Syria – with massive attacks by affiliates in the Sinai Peninsula and an announcement of executions at the ancient ruins of Palmyra.

Last week the ISIS-linked “Sinai Province” terror group formerly called Ansar Bayt al Maqdis launched attacks on Egyptian soldiers and police in 15 locations in the Sinai Peninsula.

Making it clear the government views the attacks by Da’esh as an existential threat, Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi cut short a visit to Ethiopia and flew home to take command of what he has called the “war” on terror.

El-Sisi also called on Israel to cooperate with Egypt in any battle against Da’esh that might flow over the Gaza border. Israel has agreed to allow Egypt to beef up its troops in Sinai beyond the restrictions of the current peace treaty between the two nations. In addition, the Israel Defense Forces went to high alert last week along the southern border and has closed Highway 12, which traverses the southern Negev from the coast to Eilat, indefinitely.

The precautions were well advised: On Friday, Da’esh launched a triple rocket attack from the Sinai Peninsula against southern Israel; miraculously, none of the Grad Katyusha missiles reached residential areas.

On Saturday, Egypt launched air strikes against the group’s stronghold at Sheikh Zuweid in northern Sinai, eliminating 12 terrorists and destroying caches of weaponry and explosives, according to security sources. El-Sisi visited the province to inspect the site where some of the bloodiest battles in years have taken place.

Sinai Province is hoping to oust the Egyptian president who removed the Muslim Brotherhood-backed former President Mohamed Morsi two years ago after a year of constant street protests against his Islamist regime.

Gaza’s ruling Hamas terror organization was also spawned by the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood; IDF sources told journalists last week there is evidence proving that Hamas has been actively helping Sinai Province in its battles against the Egyptian government forces.

Da’esh also released a video Saturday (July 4) showing the mass execution of at least 27 Syrian Army soldiers in the ruins of the Roman Theater in the ancient city of Palmyra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Experts who viewed the video estimated that the executions had taken place shortly after Da’esh seized control of the site, sometime in late May.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/isis-prompts-state-of-emergency-in-tunisia-declaration-of-war-in-egypt/2015/07/05/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: