web analytics
October 23, 2016 / 21 Tishri, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘Shin Bet’

Israeli-Arab Arrested for Trying to Join ISIS in Syria

Wednesday, June 29th, 2016

A combined action of the Shabak and Israel Police has led to the arrest of an Israeli-Arab resident of Umm al-Fahm, Ibrahim Hassan Yousef Aghbariyya, 23, at Ben Gurion International Airport on June 10, on his way to join ISIS in Syria.

In his interrogation, Aghbariyya revealed that after having been exposed to ISIS videos and other content, he began to identify with the Jihaidst ideology of the Islamic State and with its actions, and decided to leave for Syria, to join up.

After collecting material online about the options available to him to reach Syria, Aghbariyya flew to Istanbul and boarded a connecting flight to the Turkish town of Gaziantep, not far from the Syrian border. Back in early May, a bomb attack outside the police headquarters in Gaziantep killed two policemen and injured 22 others.

Aghbariyya was picked up by Turkish police in short order and after a few days’ interrogation was expelled to Israel.

Aghbariyya’s Shabak interrogation also revealed that he had left his family a letter before leaving for Turkey, spelling out his intentions to join the forces of Jihad. Some of his close friends and acquaintances were aware of his plans and identified with his ideas.

Israel’s security apparatus has been watching out for individuals like Aghbariyya, who might be sent back by ISIS to take advantage of their privileged status as Israeli citizens to carry out terrorist attacks inside Israel.

On Wednesday, Aghbariyya was indicted in Haifa District Court on serious security violations.

David Israel

Liberman’s Office Sends Yitzhar Minor to Re-Education Camp

Friday, June 24th, 2016

At 3 AM Friday, the Shabak and police burst into the home of the 15-year-old minor from Yitzhar and arrested him. The boy had received an IDF administrative order expelling him from his parent’s home, but he had no where to go, and the boy’s family doesn’t even know why he is even being taken from their home.

The family told the Honeinu legal aid society that they were shown no warrant, and during the arrest, the police confiscated the parents’ phones so they couldn’t contact anyone for help.

The police refused to allow the father to accompany his son to wherever they are actually taking him – despite being required to do so by law.

The police also refused to allow the boy to take his T’fillin or personal effects.

The boy’s father said,

“To take a child of 15 who did nothing and demand to throw him into an unfamiliar location, without coordination with the family, this is step you do in a democracy? In the fifties, they kidnapped Yemenite children in the dark, and now are trying to remove children from home for re-education in broad daylight. The natural place for my son is at home. It’s inconceivable that from secret evidence that we have no idea what it says, a child has to leave his home.”

The IDF hasn’t given an explanation as to why the boy is being expelled from his home as well as all of Judea and Samaria, other than to say the 15-year-old is a threat to national security and has been involved in violent incidents against Arabs.

There’s been no court hearing, and the IDF refuses to present any of their evidence of the boy’s alleged activities to the boy’s lawyers or family, making it impossible for the lawyers to defend their client and fight the administrative order.

In the past month, the prosecution was forced to drop charges against two people the Shabak had arrested and held for weeks while not permitting them to see their lawyers. One of those arrested reports that he was tortured. The charges were dropped because they were innocent. In those cases too, secret evidence was used to justify their arrest.

Last month, Meir Ettinger was released after being held for 8 months in solitary confinement. Again, based on secret evidence, which apparently included his publicly posted blog.

In a letter sent yesterday to the minor’s lawyers, IDF Major Yizhar Yitzhaki, head of the human rights department in the military prosecution wrote that the minor will be sent to a farm in the south, there will “a bed to sleep on, food and sanitary services as required.”

And apparently re-education.

The family doesn’t know the owners of the farm, and no one from this farm has contacted the family. The family doesn’t even know if the farm has agreed to take their son, and if it’s legal for them to do so against the parent’s wishes.

According to Honeinu, a hearing will take place in the Petah Tikva Magistrates Court sometime today.

Nor is this the only case in question.

There is another minor, from Eli, who reviewed an administrative distancing order from Judea and Samaria, as well as an additional administrative order placing him under house arrest at night. As his home is in Samaria and he can’t go home, the IDF has decided to also send this boy to the re-education farm down south. The boy’s family has no way of fighting the decree, as the evidence against the boy is secret.

If anyone had any hope that under Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman, the IDF’s anti-democratic “administration orders” policies would be reviewed and cancelled, those hopes were certainly dashed this morning.

Jewish Press News Briefs

4 Hamas Killers of Henkin Couple Sentenced to Life in Prison

Wednesday, June 22nd, 2016

by Michael Zeff

Four members of the Hamas terror organization were sentenced to life in prison Wednesday by an IDF military tribunal in Samaria. The terror cell was convicted on charges of murdering Rabbi Eitam and Na’ama Henkin, an Israeli rabbi and his wife, in October 2015. A fifth member of the Shechem-based cell was found guilty but has not yet been sentenced, and two others await trial.

Yahia Abdullah Hajj-hamad, Samir Qusah, Karem Razik; and Amjad Aliwi, were among the five terrorists responsible for the ambush and murder of the Henkin couple. They were shot while driving their car near the Itamar community in Samaria, as their four children sat in the back seat. Eitam, son of the prominent American-born educators Rabbi Yehuda and Chana Henkin, was a U.S. citizen.

The murder of their parents, witnessed by Matan, 9, Nitzan, 7, Netta, 4, and four-month-old baby Itamar, shook the Jewish nation both in Israel and in the Diaspora.

The four terrorists were sentenced to two consecutive life sentences and an additional 30-year prison term each. Zeid Jamil Amar, the fifth member of the terror cell hasn’t been sentenced yet.

The Shin Bet domestic intelligence agency (Israel Security Agency) said in a statement that the terrorists are also responsible for several other shooting attacks that took place in Samaria in August 2015.

The judge said that it was the “carefully planned and cold blooded nature of the killing, in which every member of the squad played a vital role,” that swayed the military judge to issue a harsh and uniform sentence to all the terrorists, regardless of who pulled the trigger.

Shin Bet officials have suggested the children were only spared from death due to the fact that one member of the cell accidentally shot his fellow terrorist, causing him serious injury and prompting him to drop his gun at the scene and flee.

It was that gun and “friendly fire” that helped the Shin Bet and IDF identify and capture the killers in a Shechem hospital a few days later.

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Report: Undercover Policeman Incited Rightwing Jews to Harm Arabs

Sunday, June 19th, 2016

According to the Honenu legal aid society, Israel’s secret police has been operating at least one agent provocateur in an attempt to trap rightwing activists in the performance of extremist acts. Honenu has dubbed the undercover officer Champagne 2.

Shortly after the capture of Prime Minister Rabin’s murderer Yigal Amir, Israelis learned that Amir had been guided and controlled by a Shabak agent named Avishai Raviv, whose code name was Champagne and whose mission, many believed, was to encourage and fabricate activities of right-wing extremists. He was, for instance, the behind the poster showing Rabin in an SS uniform, just days before the murder, making sure it appeared on the news. And there was testimony cited in at least one newspaper article that Raviv was urging Amir to kill the prime minister. In his trial, Raviv was able to get off by saying he was merely carrying out his duties as an agent provocateur.

The new undercover agent provocateur has been posing for two year as a member of the Lehava organization, and used his fake identity to incite Jewish activists over Whatsapp and Facebook. The officer was exposed after he had tried last week to recruit an informer from a Samaria community. The latter called on Honenu for legal advice and informed the officer he was not interested.

The officer contacted him for about 15 times from two different phone numbers, which the resident kept on his smartphone. Later, when the same resident entered a Whatsapp group where he is a member, he spotted the same number the officer had used to call him, but now the user was presenting himself as one of the gang of Jewish extremists, just aching to hurt himself some Arabs.

The Samaria resident approached the group leader who quickly removed the officer, and the latter protested, claiming that his name was Miro Amzaleg and that he was a Lehava activist from Jerusalem. But when he was challenged to come up with anyone who knows him in Lehava he was only able to provide names of people he had been in virtual contact with.

The undercover officer’s Facebook page, which has since been taken down, offered posts containing incitements against Arabs. One shares a story about the Jewish man who later burned down the bilingual school in Jerusalem, with the comment: No Arabs, No Terror Attacks. According to Honenu, the fact that the post was dated about a month before the arson might suggest that the agent provocateur was involved in inciting the man, Shlomi Tuito, to carry out the crime. There were several other posts that could be seen as calculated provocations of young and easily influenced fringe Jews, similar in profile to Yigal Amir.

One telling episode had to do with the picture of Rabbi Kahane’s grandson Meir Ettinger on the morning of his release from administrative detention earlier this month, a picture which the undercover officer posted online ahead of all the other media. The fact was Ettinger had been let out of jail earlier than scheduled and was left standing there, waiting for his family to come pick him up. No one else had the picture, and when reporters and activists asked “Amzaleg” how he got it, he said his relative, a prison guard, had sent it to him. But a quick investigation revealed that Ettinger had been standing in the company of three police detectives who handed him his release papers and shot his pictures from every conceivable angle. The detectives were the only possible source for the image, and when the agent posted it he outed himself.

Honenu is in the process of examining two-years’ worth of correspondence the officer had kept with activists, and they intend to turn them into a lawsuit. The officer is known to Honenu as a recruiter of Jewish residents of Judea and Samaria to inform on their neighbors. That part, as repulsive as it may sound, is not illegal. However, Honenu officials contend, for the same police officer to be involved in inciting young Jews to commit acts of violence against Arabs should be grounds for suspension, followed by dismissal.

Police on Sunday refused to comment on intelligence operations.

David Israel

Prosecution Quietly Closes Duma Arson Suspect Case for Lack of Evidence

Sunday, June 19th, 2016

The prosecution last week informed attorney Adi Keidar of the Honenu legal aid society that the investigation of Kokhav HaShahar youth coordinator Natanel Forkowitz, who was arrested on suspicion of involvement in the Duma village arson murder, is being closed for lack of evidence. The announcement came six months after Forkowitz had been picked up by the Shabak secret police without any stated charges. He was then interrogated for 12 days without being allowed to see his lawyer.

According to Keidar, the admission of his client’s innocence was not initiated by the prosecution, but came in response to Keidar’s own inquiry regarding the status of Forkowitz’s case. Only then did Attorney Rachel Avishar Abeles from the Central District Prosecutor’s Office admit that the case had been closed.

Forkowitz, who was awarded the president’s badge of excellence during his military service, a family man with no criminal record, was guilty only of working as youth coordinator in Kokhav HaShahar, in the government run Hebrew Shepherd program to engage socially unaffiliated youth, a.k.a. hill youth. Forkowitz was picked up during his IDF reserves service.

The Shabak’s entire case against Forkowitz rested on the fact that he sold a vehicle to a youth hill from the Shilo block who was a suspect in the arson case. The interrogators insisted that Forkowitz had known of his vehicle’s involvement in the arson, and his own military record and his history of firm opposition to the “price tag” actions did not save him from the courts who kept extending his detention, relying on “secret information” his lawyers were not allowed to see.

In the end, there was no connection between the suspect in the Duma case and a vehicle, and the youth who had purchased it from Forkowitz was let go after 21-days’ detention that included abusive interrogation.

Attorney Keidar said in a statement that “this incident should disturb the sleep of all the citizens in this country, especially the residents of Judea and Samaria (Kokhav HaShahar is in the Benjamin region), who can find themselves in the all-powerful hold [of Shabak], detained under harsh conditions for no reason, all of it in order to serve the aims of Shabak interrogators who clearly knew all along that [Forkowitz] had no connection to the incident. It is also saddening that the courts have acquiesced to this behavior and did not cut it off at the beginning.”

David Israel

Report: Hamas Tunnel Warfare Commander Defected to Israel

Wednesday, June 15th, 2016

Gaza Arabs have been debating the mystery of the disappearance of a commander in the Al Qassam Brigades, the Hamas military arm, and many have suggested that he defected to Israel, Channel 2 News reported Tuesday night. The man in question is a senior commander in the Nukhba unit, an elite Hamas force specializing in underground tunnel warfare and in kidnapping Israeli civilians and soldiers. He is a resident of Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, and the son of a Hamas religious judge.

According to rumors from Gaza, the man told his family he was going for a walk and would be back in the evening, but instead crossed the border fence to Israel. Some in Hamas claim that the man was kidnapped by the IDF. In any event, he should be a source of valuable information for Israeli security forces.

In early May the Shin Bet revealed that another Hamas senior from the tunnel forces, Mahmoud Atawnah, 29, was arrested and has been providing information about the Hamas tunnel digging enterprise. Atawnah was reportedly arrested at the beginning of April after crossing from Gaza into Israeli territory armed with two knives. The Shin Bet said he confessed his plan to kill Israeli civilians or soldiers.

A five-year veteran of the Al Qassam Brigades, Atawnah reported that Hamas was creating an interwoven network of tunnels designed for the movement of fighters and weaponry, equipped with sleeping chambers, showers, and dining areas. Atawnah’s training included placing improvised explosive devices targeting Israeli troops.

Atawnah provided his interrogators with information on the tunnels routes in the northern Gaza Strip, the methods for digging the tunnels, using private homes and public institutions as bases for the digging crews, and the construction materials being used.

David Israel

Annals of Crazy, The Sequel: Barred Teen Returns to Samaria Under House Arrest in Yitzhar

Sunday, June 5th, 2016

A teenage boy expelled from his home by the Civil Administration under orders by the Shin Bet intelligence agency (“Shabak”) is back for now.

The 15-year-old was also under orders not to talk to a 12-year-old neighbor and was expelled from the town in which he grew up, and both entire regions of Samaria and Judea.

It’s a little weird, the Honenu legal aid society pointed out.

But after a court battle on behalf of the boy, the Home Front Command responded to his attorney, Adi Kedar, that the teen will be allowed to remain under house arrest at his home at least until Tuesday, according to the Honenu civil rights organization.

It was last Tuesday that the teen received the restraining order forcing him out of the entire region of Judea and Samaria, including the home of his parents in Yitzhar.

He was also placed under house arrest at the home of his grandparents – but they vehemently refused to accept the task of becoming their grandson’s jailer. When it became clear that this condition was untenable, authorities and the family were granted 14 days in which to find an alternative.

But a placement has yet to be found. Who wants to be a jailer for a 15-year-old male who was raised free in the hills of Samaria?

The conditions expected of someone taking on the task of monitoring someone on house arrest are nothing to be trifled with. One can easily lose one’s employment having to fulfill such an obligation, not to mention one’s sanity.

Attorney Adi Kedar contacted Home Front Command in an urgent letter to inform the authorities that a placement has not yet been identified, and an extension of an additional 14 days must be granted in order to continue to seek a placement.

But Kedar also noted that the entire order is a violation of the teen’s civil rights and a violation of international conventions as well. He added a reminder that the minor in question was not arrested, but rather was arbitrarily ordered out of his parents’ home and out of the entire region at the decision of the commanders of the Jewish Department of the Shin Bet intelligence agency.

In response, the Home Front Command has said it will hold a hearing on the matter in the coming days.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/annals-of-crazy-the-sequel-barred-teen-returns-to-samaria-under-house-arrest-in-yitzhar/2016/06/05/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: