web analytics
September 1, 2015 / 17 Elul, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Gaza Strip’

Tony Blair Mediating with Hamas for Missing Israelis

Sunday, July 12th, 2015

Gaza’s ruling Hamas terror organization has identified Tony Blair as the mediator in talks with Israel over two missing civilians possibly being held hostage by the group in Gaza.

One of the two, Avraham Mengisto, is a 28-year-old Ethiopian immigrant who is mentally ill. The second man is a Negev Bedouin from the town of Hura.

A senior Hamas official told the Rusian media outlet Sputnik on Saturday the former Middle East envoy to the Quartet had met officially with Hamas to discuss the missing Israelis.

Israel has refused to identify the mediator.

Blair has met at least twice recently with Hamas politburo chief Khaled Meshaal at the terror group’s international heaquarters in Doha, Qatar.

Hamas has also denied that Germany is serving as the mediator for the matter.

Arab Website Calls Israeli Hostages ‘Soldiers’

Friday, July 10th, 2015

The Alresalah Arabic-language wrote that the two Israelis being held by Hamas are “soldiers.”

It reported:

An Ethiopian-Israeli soldier, identified as Abraham Mengistu, entered to the Gaza Strip by mistake on September 8, 2014.

The second Israeli, a Bedouin from the southern city of Hura, was not identified. Israel also has kept a veil of secrecy on his disappearance, but Hura’s reputation for crime and terror leaves open the possibility that the missing Bedouin entered Gaza with the cooperation of Hamas.

Nevertheless, Alresalah referred to him as a soldier, also.

Hamas has said it will not disclose any information about the two men until Israel releases terrorists from prison, including those who were freed for kidnapped soldier GIlad Shalit and then rearrested for more terror.

News of the missing Israeli broke on Thursday when Israeli media demanded a gag order be released and since then has dumped on the Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and the IDF for alleged racism.

As in previous hostage incidents, the government and military should be given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to work quietly for their release, but the immediate conclusion, without any basis, that Mengistu still is in Gaza because he is an Ethiopian only complicates matters for Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu.

Lior Lotan, Prime Minister Netanyahu’s representative for the Mengistu affair, made things even worse by leaked comments to Mengistu’s family that they would make matters worse if they went public and criticized the Prime Minister.

That immediately was reported as a “threat,” and Lotan issued has issued a public apology.

However, the anti-Netanyahu media are not satisfied and want the Prime Minister’s head, an expression that perhaps should not be used so loosely these days.

 

Lotan had told the family:

You have two options: The first is to point the finger at Hamas and tell them ‘You are holding him; you are responsible for his fate, return him to us and we want to know that he’s alive.’

Then you have the second option, which is to point the finger at Jerusalem and say ‘You aren’t right, you let him cross and did not respond to letters.’

I have my opinion on what is best for Israel [and] what will help him and what will help Hamas, but you have to choose and you will be responsible for the outcome.

That does not sound like a threat. It sound like putting the facts on the table, but if the leftist media says it is a threat, it is a threat.

Zahava Gal-On, the leader of the left-wing Meretz party, immediately concluded that Lotan would not have spoken as he did to another family if their skin were white.

“No one should dare to tell us that this is not connected to skin color,” she asserted.

And if she says it is racism, it is racism.

Prime Minister Netanyahu personally apologized to the Mengisto family for Lotan’s remarks and is visiting them them Friday.

Now the family of the Bedouin is screaming “racism” because no one from the government has visited them.

It is not known if the Bedouin was a terrorist or a criminal. It is not known what Israel has been doing behind the scenes, quietly, to free them.

All that really is known is that the establishment media are further jeopardizing the lives of the missing Israelis and soon will be jeopardizing the lives of all Israelis by demanding that the government gain their release by handing over more terrorists, who can go around killing more people.

Ya’alon Says Hamas Responsible for Fate of Missing Israelis

Thursday, July 9th, 2015

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said Thursday that Israel holds Gaza’s ruling Hamas terror organization responsible for the fate of both missing Israelis who are believed to be in the enclave.

Ya’alon spoke with reporters at Ben Gurion International Airport about the issue upon his return from a working visit to Italy.

“Two Israeli civilians are in Gaza in the hands of Hamas,” the defense minister said. “The state of Israel is investing much effort in returning them both to their families.

“We view Hamas as being responsible for their fate and we demand their return.”

Ya’alon told media that he has met with the family of 28-year-old Ethiopian immigrant Avraham Mengisto, and has kept them updated on steps that are being taken to return him to Israel. He also has been maintaining contact and updating the family of the second Israeli civilian being held in Gaza, a Negev Bedouin from the southern town of Hura, on steps being taken to free him as well.

“I met with Avraham Mengisto’s family and updated them regarding our operations and encouraged them,” Ya’alon said. “We’re also in touch with the family of the other Israeli being held in Gaza, and we’re updating them on developments as well.”

Information about the second civilian is censored at the present time.

Rivlin: All Relevant Authorities Working to Retrieve Missing Israeli

Thursday, July 9th, 2015

President Reuven Rivlin confirmed Thursday that “all relevant authorities are working on the case” of 28-year-old Ethiopian immigrant to Israel, Avraham Mengisto.

The young man voluntarily crossed the border into Gaza 10 months ago and has not been seen since, according to his mother, who says she is holding Gaza’s ruling Hamas terror group responsible for his well-being.

Rivlin told journalists at a news conference the release of Mengisto, who is believed to be possibly mentally ill, is a “humanitarian issue.”

The president said in a statement, “We expect those holding him to act accordingly and release him while his condition is stable.” He added that Israel’s security and other government personnel would “continue to make every effort to bring the incident to a close as soon as possible.”

Mengisto walked south along the shoreline from his home in Ashkelon on September 8, 2014, and then simply kept going, crossing the border into Gaza along the way.

Hamas reportedly is claiming the Israeli was taken into custody for questioning but released when it was discovered that he was not a soldier. As it happens, Mengisto has never served in the IDF due to his health problems.

The terror group claims that he entered one of the smuggling tunnels in the southern border town of Rafah and exited the enclave to head into Egypt in order to proceed towards Ethiopia.

Israeli authorities say the terrorist officials are lying, either in order to preserve him as an “asset” for future negotiations with Israel over a possible prisoner swap, or because something happened to him along the way and the person responsible for him is hiding that information – even from Hamas officials.

IDF Promotes Religious Officer to Head Central Command Operations

Wednesday, July 8th, 2015

 

The IDF has promoted national-religious Col. Ofer Winter to the rank of Brigadier-General and head of operations in the Central Command and of the effort to bring more Hareidi soldiers into combat units.

Winter won praise for integrating Hareidi soldiers into the combat unties of the Givat Brigade that he headed until his new promotion.

Winter’s name became widely known in Operation Protective Edge for two reasons:

He implemented the Hannibal Protocol to use all measures possible when Hamas tried to kidnap Givati officer Lt. Hadar Goldin;

and his invocation of the name of God in a letter he wrote to his soldiers before the ground operation against Hamas terrorists in Gaza last year.

The increasing number of religious combat soldiers in the IDF has scared the dickens out of many secular establishment leaders, particularly the left-wing media.

They only have themselves to blame, The number of national religious soldiers and officers in combat units is far higher than those from the secular community when taking into consideration that the national religious community is a small minority of the country, and in some units there are more religious officers on an absolute basis.

In addition, enlistment rates among the national religious community are far higher than among secular Jews, many of whom doge the draft just like a large number of Hareidim.

The increasing number of Hareidim in the army scares the anti-religious elitists even more. The Hareidim, like national religious soldiers, are highly motivated and generally have won high praise for their dedication and skills

Part of that is due to Col. Winter, whose promotion is particularly significant because it comes before legal officers in the IDF have concluded a review of his actions in the war in Gaza and if Winter violated laws of war when he implemented the Hannibal Protocol. His soldiers inflicted heavy casualties among the enemy, and the U.N. so-called Human Rights Council accused him of crimes.

The promotion indicates that the legal officers might close the file against Winter, just as non-legal officers did.

Winter’s letter to soldiers before they entered Gaza stated that “God has chosen us” to “eliminate the terrorist enemy that dares to curse, blaspheme and scorn the God of Israel.”

He also wrote that he read with them the Shema prayer – “Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One.”

This was too much for the secularists, who accused Winter of everything from mixing religion with state to proselytizing.

The same secularists didn’t say “boo” when the anti-missionary Yad L’Achim organization discovered that Christian missionaries had infiltrated IDF bases to preach their gospel.

The secularists are not afraid religion, so long as is it is not Judaism.

That is why they are so scared every time another national religious soldier becomes an officer, and especially when one becomes Brigadier-General.

They don’t see the future. After Winter’s next promotion, he might be replaced by a Hareidi officer.

 

IDF Releases Videos from Major Benaya Sarel’s Helmet Cam and Search for Hadar Goldin

Wednesday, July 8th, 2015

On Friday, August 1, 2014, IDF Major Benaya Sarel and Sergeant Lial Gidoni were killed in Rafiah, Gaza, by Hamas.

Lt. Hadar Goldin was also killed in that attack and his body stolen by the Hamas terrorists. All this happened a half-hour after a cease-fire had been accepted by all sides. The terrorists came out of a terror tunnel just like those that Hamas are currently rebuilding.

Major Sarel was the commander of the elite Sayeret Givati unit. He was to get married on August 21, 2014, but instead was laid to rest in the old Jewish cemetery in Hebron. 10,000 people attended his funeral.

A year later, the IDF released a segment of the video (courtesy: Rotter.net) from Sarel’s helmet’s Go-Pro camera when he was stationed in the Khirbat Ahza area of Gaza as few days before he was killed, as well as the audio from the search for Goldin (courtesy: NRG).

If the videos don’t appear, give Facebook a minute to load them.

צה״ל פרסם סרטון ממצלמת "גו-פרו" שהייתה על קסדתו של רס"ן בניה שראל ז"ל במהלך מבצע "צוק איתן". חטיבת דובר צה"ל

Posted by ‎Rotter.net – סקופים וחדשות‎ on Tuesday, July 7, 2015

"הכרזנו חניבעל, אנחנו לא מוצאים אותו". הקלטות הקשר הצבאי במהלך חטיפתו של סגן הדר גולדין ז"ל – נחשפות >> http://bit.ly/1CkBKPr

Posted by Nrg on Tuesday, July 7, 2015

IDF Tunnel Warning System to be Fully Operational in Days

Tuesday, July 7th, 2015

A senior IDF official revealed today during a press briefing commemorating a year since Operation Protective Edge (“Tzuk Eitan”) that the IDF’s tunnel warning system will be fully operational in the coming days. The officer noted that system was recently activated and installed surrounding the Gaza Strip. The officer stressed that not one of the 32 terror tunnels destroyed by the IDF during last year’s operation has been renovated, yet Hamas is digging new tunnels towards Israel.

During the press briefing, it was revealed that Hamas is searching for new weapon smuggling pipelines since Egypt effectively shut down the smuggling tunnels from Sinai to Gaza. As a result. Hamas has built new ties with radical Islamic elements in Sinai to train weapon smugglers in Sinai and even encourage attacks against the Egyptian army.

In parallel, ISIS forces in Sinai are trying to bring Israel into a conflict with Egypt, and it is expected that ISIS rockets will continue to be shot at Israel from Sinai, as was demonstrated last week. The IDF Southern command is preparing to defend attempts of terror attacks alongside the border with Egypt.

The IDF’s present analysis is that Hamas prefers quiet at this time and the cease fire continues between the sides. Despite Israel’s efforts to allow hundreds of the aid trucks daily into Gaza and the ongoing restoration of Gaza, the difficult economic situation in Gaza can easily create the catalyst for the next conflict with Israel.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/idf-tunnel-warning-system-to-be-fully-operational-in-days/2015/07/07/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: