web analytics
September 30, 2014 / 6 Tishri, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘United Nations’

Hamas Attacks Israel with Mortar Shells during ‘Humanitarian Ceasefire’

Thursday, July 17th, 2014

Hamas managed to honor the United Nations-sponsored five-hour “humanitarian ceasefire” for a grand total of two hours before attacking Israel with mortar shells. It waited until less than a minute after the end of the ceasefire to stage a massive attack on Israel with more than 50 rockets and missiles from the south to north of Tel Aviv Thursday afternoon.

No serious injuries have been reported, but at least one home in Ashkelon sustained damage. The Iron Dome intercepted several missiles fired at Tel Aviv and surrounding cities, including Kfar Saba to the north.

At noon, two hours after the brief ceasefire was upheld by Israel and Hamas, the terrorist regime hit the Eshkol region in the Western Negev with three mortar shells

Hamas also Hamas executed four civilians for collaborating with Israel during the Protect Edge counter-terrorist campaign that began last week. More than a dozen of others have been arrested and face the same fate.

Foreign leaders have not commented on the executions or commented if they represented a “disproportionate response.”

Hamas followed up the mortar shelling with rocket attacks seconds after the official end of the ceasefire, shooting at Ashkelon, Gaza Belt communities and Be’er Sheva within an hour.

By 6 p.m., the Iron Dome system already was in action over the skies of Tel Aviv.

After the initial attacks, the IDF swiftly responded, bombing terror targets in northern and central Gaza.

Israel has suffered a bad name following the bombing of Gaza beach on Wednesday that had been used by terrorists but where children also were playing until the Air Force combed the area killing at least four minors.

Hamas also suffered PR damage when it was exposed again for using civilian areas for terror. UNRWA discovered weapons in one of its school, as reported here.

Foreign leaders or would-be leaders, ranging from former U.S. President Bill Clinton to Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, castigated Israel, Erdogan told a meeting of Islamic scholars in in Turkey, “Since 1948, we have been witnessing this attempt at systematic genocide every day and every month. But above all we are witnessing this attempt at systematic genocide every Ramadan.”

Clinton, whose Oslo Accords unwittingly created “new Middle East” exactly opposite of what he intended, still is on the soap box preaching that Israel is the reason Hamas attacks.

“I believe that Prime Minister Netanyahu could and should make a comprehensive peace agreement with the Palestinians,” he told an Indian news channel Wednesday.

“Over the long run it is not good for Israel to keep isolating itself from world opinion because of the absence of a viable peace process,” he added. “In the short to medium term, Hamas can inflict terrible public relations damage on Israel by forcing it to kill Palestinian civilians to counter Hamas.”

Did he really say “civilians”? Did he really say Israel might suffer, oy veh, “public relations damage.”

Now we have another reason why the U.S. Constitution prevents a president from running for a third term.

There also are other reasons, such as Barack Obama.

UNRWA Chagrined to Find 20 Rockets in Gaza School

Thursday, July 17th, 2014

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA)discovered to its dismay on Wednesday that terrorists had stashed some 20 rockets in one of its schools. The agency, which operates some 200 schools in Gaza, found the rockets during a routine inspection of the building, which UNRWA officials believed was “vacant.”

There was no information on which of the schools served to hide the rockets, nor is there any information about what was done with the ordnance following the discovery.

One of the schools is located in Rafah, the town which straddles the Gaza border with Egypt, and where many terrorist smuggler tunnels have been blown up in IDF air strikes, and otherwise discovered by Egyptian authorities.

UNRWA organized a robotics workshop for the students at that school last December, teaching the youngsters to build mechanized vehicles and other mechanical items — skills that will certainly help the children find good careers in future years, but will also help them build better missiles and bombs as well, if they choose to do so.

“UNRWA strongly condemns the group or groups responsible for placing the weapons in one of its installations,” the agency wrote in a statement posted on its website Thursday. “This is a flagrant violation of the inviolability of its premises under international law. This incident, which is the first of its kind in Gaza, endangered civilians including staff and put at risk UNRWA’s vital mission to assist and protect Palestine refugees in Gaza.”

Immediately following the discovery, the agency said it “informed the relevant parties” – without indicating who those might be – and “successfully took all necessary measures for the removal of the objects” – without saying how they were removed, where they were taken, or by who.

UNRWA is one of the international aid organizations whose employees use the Erez border crossing to travel in and out of Gaza from its office in Israel. The agency is mandated to provide assistance to some five million Palestinian Arabs registered as “refugees” although those who fled their homes during the 1948 Arab war with Israel actually numbered 711,000 in 1950.

Israeli Air Force Smashing Hamas to Pieces

Sunday, July 13th, 2014

The Israeli Air Force has escalated an all-out war against the Hamas terrorist regime in Gaza while making mincemeat of Hamas attempts to kill civilians in Tel Aviv.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and IDF officers made it clear Friday and Saturday that the days of repetitive “cease fires” with Hamas and that years of agreeing to allow Hamas to attack, and then stop to re-arm, are history.

Hamas put on a fabulous propaganda show for Gaza residents Saturday night, boldly announcing more than an hour ahead of time that it would pulverize metropolitan Tel Aviv with rockets at 9 p.m. Israeli time.

Sure enough, it carried out its promise, but the results were pitiful as the Iron Dome system intercepted most of the missiles, leaving only minimal damage. Shrapnel from one rocket in the city of Rehovot, south of Tel Aviv, caused light injuries to one man.

Hamas celebrated as if it had won the war and even told its residents that at least one of those nasty Zionists was killed, leaving only 6,999,999 Jews to finish off before it could declare peace.

Two deaths due to heart attacks after sirens blared were reported in Haifa on Friday and Jerusalem on Shabbat, where an elderly American tourist in Jerusalem succumbed to heart failure while sirens wailed in the capital.

Shortly after the missile barrage on Tel Aviv, the Israeli Air Force bombed dozens of terrorist targets in Gaza, including the home of the chief of Hamas police.

Up to 15 people were killed in the attack, and even if the Arab figures are exaggerated, the strike undoubtedly leveled a significant hole in the Hamas terrorist regime.

Another dead terrorist was a man who launched rockets and also was a nephew of Ismail Haniyeh, who was de facto prime minister of Gaza until the new Palestinian Authority unity government disguised his power with the creation of a puppet ”technocratic” government to satisfy naïve international experts, not the least of which is  the Obama administration, that there suddenly is a terror-free regime in Ramallah.

Around midnight Saturday, the IDF warned residents in northern Gaza to leave their homes. The area is a magnet for terrorists because of its proximity to Israel. The Air Force apparently is trying to push rocket-launcher terrorists as far south as possible, possibly allowing for ground forces to move in and keep the area clean of terrorists.

“In the next few hours, in light of the fact Hamas is hiding behind civilians, we will change patterns of action and start evacuating Palestinian civilians in the northern Gaza Strip, where long-range rockets are fired from,” a senior IDF official told Ynet. “Following the evacuation, there will be a significant attack there. The objectives for this operation are to deal a significant blow to Hamas and Islamic Jihad, decrease the fire on civilians and strengthen the deterrence.”

Hamas fired approximately 50 rockets and missiles on Israel Saturday, setting off sirens in almost every section of the country south of Haifa, even in the Dead Sea area. The Iron Dome continued to prove effective and knocked out one missile that threatened the Modi’in-Ben Gurion Airport area.

Northern Israel heard sirens because of a volley of missiles from Lebanon, causing damage to an agriculture building. Pro-Palestinian Authority elements, and not Hezbollah,  were behind the attacks. The Lebanese army, which is barely distinguishable from Hezbollah, arrested at least one of those who fired the rockets, indicating that it does not want a confrontation with Israel at this time.

Sirens also sounded in the southern Hebron Hills, and at least two of Hamas’ missiles exploded in Arab areas in Hebron and Bethlehem, causing minor injuries and damage.

PA Silent on Condemnation and Complains to UN of Israeli ‘Aggression’

Tuesday, July 1st, 2014

The Palestinian Authority wrote the United Nations Tuesday of “ongoing escalated Israeli aggression against the Palestinian people” but did not even hint of any condemnation of the murder of kidnapped teenagers Naftali Frankel, Gilad Sha’ar and Eyal Yifrach.

The United States has made a big deal out of Mahmoud Abbas’ one-time condemnation of the abductions, but the only Palestinian Authority reaction since the discovery that the teenagers were murdered has been a condemnation of Israeli counter-terrorist maneuvers..

“Those who kidnapped the three Israeli teenagers want to destroy us,” Abbas said two weeks ago in Saudi Arabia.. “First and foremost [these teenagers] are human beings like us. It is our responsibility to search for them and to return them to their families. We will hold their kidnappers accountable, whoever they are.”

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu also has praised Abbas for helping in the search for the bodies, but the quantity and content of official Fatah and Palestinian Authority statements clearly show that the condemnations and assistance in the search were simply window dressing.

Following the discovery of the teenagers; bodies Monday night, Fatah posted pictures of “Israelis crying over killed soldiers,” Palestinian Media Watch (PMW) reported.

Despite the two-week-old condemnation from Abbas after the news of the abductions broke, Fatah celebrated by posting on its official Facebook page a “caricature showing the three kidnapped boys as mice caught on the hooks of a fishing rod,” PMW added.

The Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine to the United Nations, Ambassador Riyad Mansour, sent on Tuesday identical letters to the UN Secretary-General the, president of the UN Security Council and the president of the U.N. General Assembly “on the ongoing escalated Israeli aggression against the Palestinian people in West Bank and Gaza.”

The Palestinian Authority’s official WAFA news agency reported, “Mansour underscored that many Palestinians were either killed or injured during Israeli bombardment on Gaza in the past two weeks, stressing that the escalation of Israeli aggression threatens to further destabilize the already-fragile situation on the ground, pulling the region into more violence, which, he said, requires the attention of the international community, particularly the UN security council’s attention, whose mission is to preserve international peace and security.”

His only condemnation was not over the kidnap-murders but instead over the alleged  “collective punishment since the beginning of the Israeli military aggression in search of three allegedly abducted settlers.”

Yes, he actually said they were “allegedly” kidnapped,” just as Abbas stated two weeks ago, despite his “condemnation.”

Since the discovery of the three teenagers’ bodies Monday night, WAFA’s website made no mention of missile attacks on Israel and only reported on “settlers’ attacks,” that Israeli is planning to “seize Palestinian land… for settlement construction: and that a “settler” driver deliberately ran over an Arab near Hebron.

UN Chief: Boys’ Murder ‘Heinous,’ But Warns Against Response

Tuesday, July 1st, 2014

Ban Ki-Moon, the secretary-general  of the United Nations, spoke out against the murder of the three kidnapped Israeli boys on Tuesday, July 1.

In a statement released by his spokesperson, Ki-Moon condemned the murders, saying there is “no justification for the deliberate killing of civilians.”

Like President Obama, Ki-Moon said he hopes “Israeli and Palestinian Authorities will work together to bring the perpetrators swiftly to justice,” and that he also “extends his deepest sympathy to the families of the victims.”

Calling those responsible for the abduction and murders “enemies of peace,” the UN secretary-general did not place the blame on anyone or any group, instead saying that the goal of the perpetrators was to be divisive and create distrust, thereby causing the conflict to widen.

Unlike both U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and even President Barack Obama, Ki-Moon declined to include any personalizing of the tragedy. Both Kerry and Obama mentioned their ability to empathize with the families because both are fathers.

As with both the U.S president and secretary of state, the head of the U.N. included an exhortation for “all parties” to “refrain from any actions” that could further make the current tense situation even worse.

Too late.

Israel can sit on its hands and not do its best to root out the center core of the terrorist leadership, in which case other terrorists will be emboldened by the lack of consequences. Or, Israel can act on its desire to root out the terrorism (as it has done by targeting terror sites in Gaza), in which case the world will condemn the Jewish State for contributing to the “cycle of violence.”

Here is the statement issued on behalf of the UN secretary-general:

The Secretary-General condemns in the strongest terms the murder of the three Israeli teenagers abducted on 12 June in the West Bank. There can be no justification for the deliberate killing of civilians. He hopes Israeli and Palestinian authorities will work together to bring the perpetrators swiftly to justice, and extends his deepest sympathy to the families of the victims.

The Secretary-General believes this heinous act by enemies of peace aims to further entrench division and distrust and to widen the conflict. It must not be allowed to succeed. He calls on all parties to abide by their obligations under international law and to refrain from any actions that could further escalate this highly tense situation.

UN Warns Syria to End Fighting in Golan Heights

Thursday, June 26th, 2014

The United Nations Security Council has warned Syria to stop fighting its civil war in the Golan Heights.

The council adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning all sides in the war and warning the fighting must stop – at least in the Golan Heights, where military action now threatens to raise tensions with Israel.

The resolution, adopted unanimously in the chamber, reiterated a finding by U.N. Secretary Ban Ki-moon that spillover from the Syrian conflict into the buffer zone had jeopardized the cease fire between Syria and Israel. Both civilians and U.N. personnel are increasingly endangered by the situation, he found. The resolution also included an extension of the U.N. mission that provides military personnel to monitor the cease fire between Syria and Israel, until December 31.

Earlier this week, Syrian National Reconciliation Affairs Minister Ali Haidar told the Israeli Arab As-Sonara newspaper, “Whatever cease fire agreements there were in the past are now null and void as a result of the Israeli aggression. We have returned to a state of war.”

The statement came in the wake of an Israeli air strike fired in response to a Syrian anti-tank missile fired at a civilian water truck on the Israeli side of the border in the Golan Heights. A 13 year old Israeli boy died and three men – including the boy’s father — were wounded in the attack, which was unprovoked. The men were contractors working for Israel’s defense ministry making repairs near Tel Hazeka, along the border area.

“It is absolutely clear that the Syrian military is responsible for firing the anti-tank missile. Any violation of our sovereignty in the Golan Heights will be met with a powerful response against [Syrian President Bashar] Assad’s forces,” Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said.

Rachel Frenkel to UNHRC: ‘Doesn’t Every Child Have the Right to Come Home Safely?’

Tuesday, June 24th, 2014

Rachel Frenkel, mother of one of three Israeli teens kidnapped by Arab terrorists on June 12, appealed for international assistance on Tuesday, speaking directly to the United Nations Human Rights Commission in Switzerland.

Frenkel, who is a U.S. citizen and whose son Naftali, 16, was kidnapped June 12 as he hitchhiked home from Gush Etzion, was flown from Israel by ‘UN Watch’ to testify in Geneva before the agency.

The UN Watch nonprofit organization monitors United Nations activity.

Frenkel’s son was kidnapped together with another 16 year old, Gilad Sha’ar, and 19 year old Eyal Yifrach. The mothers of all three boys appeared before the committee, although only Frenkel spoke.

Frenkel thanked U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for last week condemning the abduction of her son and his friends. She also thanked the International Committee of the Red Cross for stating publicly that it is against international law to take hostages.

She described her son for the committee members as a boy who “loves to play guitar and basketball,” and told them that he had texted her to say that he was “on his way home, and then he was gone. It is every mother’s nightmare.

“Much more could be done,” she added. “That is why we three mothers have come today, to make sure the world is doing everything it can to bring back our boys.”

She noted that it is “wrong to take innocent children, and use them as instruments in a struggle.

“Doesn’t every child have the right to come home from school safely?” she asked.

“We just want them back home in their beds… we just want to hug them again.”

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/rachel-frenkel-to-unhrc-doesnt-every-child-have-the-right-to-come-home-safely/2014/06/24/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: